Translate

Thursday 23 October 2014

Down Syndrome Ireland


Hi, Sean here.
For this blog, I am going to discuss an organization that aims to support families and people with Down syndrome.
This organisation is Down Syndrome Ireland.
Down Syndrome Ireland has 3,500 members through their national teams and through their 25 local branches which are nationwide. Down Syndrome Ireland is completely voluntary, and all of the money they receive is from fundraising events and donations.
The aims of D.S.I are to improve the lives of those with Down syndrome, and helping them to achieve their potential. They also aim to make proper educational facilities available to children with D.S, they aim tom promote the research into the causes of D.S, they provide multiple forums where parents and other family members or guardians can come together to and discuss different views and opinions. However their main aim is “integration of people with D.S into the community with full citizen’s rights as laid down in European directives and the United States charter.” (Quoted from the D.S.I website)
D.S.I began in 1971 and is now the biggest single group concerned with the welfare of people with a learning disability in Ireland.
D.S.I has many local branch networks that are made available to those affected by Down syndrome. They help make people aware of what Down syndrome is like, I myself have attended events held by D.S.I to help me understand what is like to live with D.S, by attending these I have gained a huge insight into what the life as person with D.S is like.
Please help these volunteers provide better aid to those who need it.
 
Sean.

                                                             
 

No comments:

Post a Comment