Translate

Monday 20 October 2014

My opinion


Hi, Sean here.

Before I begin I would just like to say that people that have Down syndrome, are in fact people like you and I. Everybody has strengths and weaknesses, it is what makes us human. And it is my pet hate the term “retarded” or the slag “what are you, Down syndrome?” People behave like having Down syndrome is a terrible disease, which destroys your life and stops you from achieving life’s goals. It really isn’t. When I see a man or woman with Down syndrome walking on the street or working in a shop, I can’t help but smile because these people manage to prove everybody’s expectations wrong.

I asked some friends what they thought down syndrome would do people, the most common response I received was, “that it makes you a little stupid”, and “due to how stupid they are, they will never be able to take care of themselves, or get a job, or be successful.” Well they were wrong! Down the road from my house is a large Centra store, and one of the employees there has Down syndrome. And she is one of the liveliest people in the area. Everyday another man who has Down syndrome goes for a walk, and whenever I walk by him I am greeted with a warm “hello!”

So I don’t see why people say that one is a Down syndrome, aiming to insult the person or even for laughs. It simply doesn’t make sense to me, just because a person has Down syndrome doesn’t make them unhuman. It shouldn’t even allow you to look down on them. In fact you should look up to them.

Every day, people make excuses as to why they can’t do this or that, why they don’t bother to get up off the couch or out of bed. Because it’s too hard to accomplish or too much effort is needed. But the people that people may look down upon. Don’t make excuses, these people have a learning difficulty, and in some cases physical disabilities whether it’s being deaf or blind, some have arthritis. Yet they still manage to have a go, try a new sport, get a job, they can wake up every morning and be happy for everything or nothing they can be happy for life itself. You may think your life is hard, and yes to some of you I accept that your life may actually be hard but I bet that you don’t have a learning disability too. As with a down syndrome the simple things become hard, such as having a conversation, walking up and down stairs, writing and drawing, or even knowing the simple life skills.

 

That’s the end of my rant, I hope you both learn and enjoy my blog on Down syndrome.

 

Sean

No comments:

Post a Comment